October 24, 2008
October 24, 2008

Minister plans ban on shaky visa deals

THE Immigration Minister, Chris Evans, wants tougher laws to combat the rise of shonky education agents promising Australian visas to overseas students when they can deliver no such thing.

Increasingly, unscrupulous dealers in Australia and overseas are selling dubious study packages offering tuition, work experience and an Australian visa, a Senate committee heard yesterday.

So worrying was the practice that Senator Evans said he had recently raised it with the Chinese ambassador.

“I have very severe concerns about education agents both in this country and abroad,” Senator Evans said.

“If someone gets induced and sold a package in their home country, there’s very little we can currently do about that. They arrive with expectations that can’t be delivered.”

Senator Evans said a lot of the promotion of such packages happened overseas. They purported to glean favourable visa outcomes for would-be students when in fact education agents could not provide immigration advice.

Senator Evans said he was working with the Education Minister, Julia Gillard, to increase the legislative powers available to Australia in tackling the problem.

He had also talked with representatives from Australian universities.

“Obviously they don’t want anything that undermines the reputation of Australia’s education services,” Senator Evans said.

The National Liaison Committee, Australia’s peak representative body for international students, said the exploitation began with the introduction of full-fee paying foreign students in 1986, and was worse now.

“It’s getting serious now with more private institutions being set up to recruit international students overseas,” the committee’s president, Eric Pang, said. “Many students are not aware of their rights as consumers. The recruitment agents are profit driven and obviously, looking for numbers. The students are looking for quality education.”

He said foreign students were pumped with misinformation which led to disappointment and culture shock when they arrived in Australia.

“The gap between perception and reality can be really big, depending on how pretty a picture is being painted by agents offshore. International students need accurate information,” Mr Pang said.

Tougher regulation of overseas recruitment agencies was required to stem the problem, many of which were tied to private education providers operating in Australia, Mr Pang said.

He could not say how many students had been drawn to Australia on false promises of a visa.

 Source : SMH

Yuko Narushima | October 22, 2008 | SMH

October 23, 2008
October 23, 2008

Understanding the above Visa and Immigration Glossary of Terms will help you in your migration to Australia.


Aged parent  A person who is old enough to be granted an Australian age pension.

Applicant(s)  The applicant is the person (or persons) applying to migrate to Australia.

Appropriate Regional Authority  A Department or authority of a State/Territory that is specified by Gazette Notice in relation to the grant of a Business Skills Visa.

ASPC  Adelaide Skilled Processing Centre.

Assurer  An assurer is a person usually living in Australia as an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who signs a legal undertaking (an Assurance of Support – AoS so that the applicant and dependants will not have to rely on certain social security payments that can be recovered by the Commonwealth of Australia under the AoS scheme. In the event an applicant or their dependants receive a recoverable benefit in the 2 year AoS period, the assurer is legally committed to repay them to the Commonwealth of Australia. The assurer and sponsor may be, but do not need to be, the same person. An assurance may be given by individuals acting alone or jointly, community groups or organisations.


‘A$’ or ‘AUD’ means the Australian Dollar equivalent value in the basis of the buying rate:

             In the local currency for Australian Dollars on the last day of the fiscal year in which the business reported;

             Published by any bank holding an Australian banking License; and

             Published on an approved currency conversion website.

Australian mission  An Australian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate or Consulate-Mission General or Australian Trade Commission.

Australian permanent resident A person who is the holder of a permanent visa and is usually resident in Australia.

Bridging visa  A type of temporary visa that provides the holder with status as lawful non-citizen. It can only be granted in Australia.

Centrelink  The agency that delivers social security payments and related services in Australia.

Certified copy  Copy of a document authorised, or stamped as being a true copy of the original, by a person or agency recognised by the law of the person’s home country. In Australia, this means a copy which is authorised as a true copy by a person before whom a Statutory Declaration may be made. Such authorised persons include the following: magistrate, Justice of the Peace, Commissioner for Declarations, Commissioner for Affidavits, solicitor, registered medical practitioner, bank manager, postal manager, an Australian Public Service Officer with 5 years or more service.

Close relative  Your spouse, children, parents and siblings and step relatives of the same degree.

Complete application  An application that provides all information necessary for processing, including evidence of your relationship, completed health and character checks (if applicable) and other necessary documents.

Date of completion  The definition of date of completion of an Australian qualification is the first date on which results were publicly notified or made available to you, for example by letter, on the internet, by publication in the newspaper or by bulletin board at the tertiary institution.

De facto  Not legally married, but in a spouse-like or spouse-equivalent relationship. Sometimes known as ‘common law’ spouse.

De jure  Legally married.

Department  Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC).

Departmental office  An office of DIAC.

Dependant  A person who is wholly or substantially reliant on a family member for financial support to meet their basic needs of food, shelter and clothing; or wholly or substantially reliant on their family member for financial support due to being incapacitated for work because of the total or partial loss of bodily or mental functions.

Dependent child  A natural, adopted, or step-child, who has not turned 18 years of age, or, if age 18 years or over, is dependant. A child must not have a spouse or be engaged to be married.

Designated investment  Investment in a security issued by an Australian State/Territory government authority which is specified by the Minister by Gazette Notice for the purposed of Investor and State/Territory Sponsored Investor Visa subclasses.

DIAC  Department of Immigration and Citizenship.

Domiciled  The country in which you are domiciled is the country in which you permanently live.

Eligible investment  ‘Eligible investment’ in relation to a person means:

             Ownership interest in a

             A loan to a business;

             Cash on deposit;

             Stocks and bonds;

             Real estate; or

             Gold or silver bullion

that is owned by the person for the purpose of producing a return by way of income or capital gain and is not held for personal use.

Eligible New Zealand citizen For sponsorship purposes, an eligible New Zealand citizen is one who held a Special Category Visa (SCV) on 26 February 2001; or held a SCV for at least 1 year in the 2 years preceding that date; or has a certificate, issued under the Social Security Act 1991, that states that the New Zealand citizen was, for the purposes of that Act, residing in Australia on a particular date. The SCV holder would also have needed to meet certain health and character requirements on last entry to Australia.

Eligible overseas student  Refers to overseas students in Australia who are eligible to apply for the onshore students in Australia visa categories.

Employment Having worked in paid employment for at least 20 hours a week.

ENS List of Occupations  Positions nominated under the Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) must correspond to an occupation that is on the ENS list of occupations.

ETA  Electronic Travel Authority.

Family head  For migration purposes, the family head is generally the person who is most likely to meet the primary legal criteria for the grant of a Partner Visa.

Fiance(e) relationship  A relationship where a couple is engaged to be married or betrothed. In the context of the partner migration, the term fiancee is used to mean a man and a woman who intend to marry each other.

Fiscal year ‘Fiscal year’ in relation to a business or investment means:

             If there is applicable to the business or investment by law an accounting period of 12 months – that period; or

             In any other case – a period of 12 months accepted as applying to that business for taxation or reporting purposes by the authorities in the country in which the business operates and reports.

Immediate family  Your spouse and dependant children.

Interdependent partner  A partner who is mutually dependent on you. This is usually a same-sex partner.

Interdependent relationship A relationship in which a couple have a mutual commitment to a shared life to the exclusion of all others. The relationship between them is genuine and continuing and they live together or do not live separately and apart on a permanent basis. This is usually a same-sex partnership.

IELTS  This refers to the International English Language Testing System, the test required to assess your English language ability for migration purposes.

Lawful non-citizen  A non-citizen who holds a valid visa.

Long-term independent relationship An independent relationship that has continued for 5 years or more.

Long-term spouse relationship  A spouse relationship that has continued for 5 years or more; or 2 years or more if you have children together.

Main business  Owned by the person for the purposes of producing by way of income or capital gain and is NOT held for personal use:

             The applicant has, or has had, an ownership interest in the business;

             The applicant maintains, or has maintained a direct and continuous involvement in the management of the business from day to day and in making decisions affecting the overall direction and performance of the business;

             The value of the applicants ownership interest, or the total value of the ownership interests of the applicant and the applicants spouse in the business is or was at least 10% of the total value of the business; and

             The business must be a qualifying business.

Migration Institute of Australia (MIA) The Migration Institute of Australia is the professional association for Australian migration service providers worldwide.

Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA)  The MARA is the migration industry’s regulatory body, ensuring consumers are protected in relation to cost, quality of service and professionalism.

Member of the family unit  A spouse or dependent child. Also includes single (unmarried, widowed or divorced) relatives who reside with, and are dependent on, the family head.

Net assets  The ‘net assets’ of a business is the amount attributable to the owners or shareholders of the business after deducting financial claims upon the business by third parties from total assets (ie. Net assets = total assets – liabilities).

OET  This refers to the Occupational English Test. In some professions, applicants are required to sit this test as part of the qualifications assessment.

interest In relation to a business means:

             A shareholder in a company that carries on a business;

             A partner in a partnership that carries on the business; or

             The sole proprietor of the business, including such an interest held directly through one or more interposed companies, partnerships or trusts (if a trust, there are strict requirements)

Partner Includes married and de facto spouses, fiancee and interdependent partners.

Partner visa  A Prospective Marriage, Spouse or Interdependency Visa.

Pass mark  This is the total number of points you must score to pass the Points Test. You must reach the pass mark applicable to your application at the time it is assessed (note: not at the time the application is lodged). If you pass, your application will be processed further.

Permanent visa  A visa permitting a person to remain indefinitely in Australia.

Points test  For many of the skilled categories, you must pass a Points Test. The pass mark changes from time to time.

Pool mark  If you do not achieve the pass mark, the pool mark is the total number of points you must score if your application is to be held in reserve for up to 2 years after it is assessed, in case a newer, lower pass mark is set. If your application scores sufficient points to meet the new pass mark, your application wil
l be withdrawn from the pool and processed further.

Prohibited degree of relationship  A relationship between a person and his or her ancestor/descendent (ie. between a parent and a child or a grandparent and a grandchild) or between a brother and a sister (full or half blood). This applies to natural and adoptive relationships.

Provisional visa  A temporary visa allowing a person to enter and remain in Australia until a decision is made on the permanent visa application.

Qualifying business  The enterprise:

             Is operated for the purpose of making a profit through the provision of goods, services, or goods and services (other than the provision of rental property) to the public; and

             Is not operated primarily or substantially for the purpose of speculative or passive investment.

Relative  A relative or a grandparent, grandchild, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew or step equivalent.

Regional Australia/low population growth metropolitan areas  Living in regional Australia or a low population growth metropolitan area means that SIR Visa holders can live anywhere in Australia except in Sydney, Newcastle, Wollongong, the NSW Central Coast, Brisbane, the Gold Coast, Perth, Melbourne or the ACT.

Second-stage processing  Usually 2 years after the application for a Partner Visa was made, applicants who are holders of a temporary Spouse or Interdependency Visa are assessed as to whether they continue to meet all the requirements for the grant of a permanent Spouse or Interdependency Visa.

Settled  To meet settled requirements, a person must have been lawfully resident in Australia usually for a period of 2 years.

Nominated Occupation If you are intending to apply under ANY one of the skilled categories, you must have a nominated occupation which is on the SOL at the time you apply. In order to be successful in your application, your qualifications (and work experience, in some cases) must be assessed by the Australian assessing authority responsible for your SOL nominated occupation.

Sponsor  For some categories you must have a sponsor. A sponsor is a relative aged 18 years or over who is living in Australia, is an Australian citizen or permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen and is prepared to sponsor your application and who undertakes to assist the application, to the extent necessary, financially and in relation to accommodation for a period of 2 years.

Spouse relationship  A married or de facto relationship between a couple where they have a mutual commitment to a shared life as husband and wife to the exclusion of all others, the relationship between them is genuine and continuing, and they live together, or do not live separately and apart on a permanent basis.

Statutory Declaration  This declaration must be made before a person authorised by the Statutory Declarations Act 1959 and Regulations, which include the following: magistrate, Justice of the Peace, Commissioner for Declarations, Commissioner for Affidavits, solicitor, registered medical practitioner, bank manager, postal manager, an Australian Public Service Officer with 5 years or more service.

Substantial period  12 months or more.

TAFE  Technical and Further Education (Australian distance education network)

Temporary visa  A visa permitting a person to remain in Australia permanently.

Transitional arrangements  Overseas students who were studying towards a degree, diploma or trade qualification in Australia on or before 31 March 2003 and who apply for a General Skilled Migration or a Graduate Skilled Temporary visa before 1 April 2004 will need to meet only the pre-1 July 2003, ‘1 year of full-time study’ requirement (see below). Applicants in this transitional group may also be able to claim the points in the 1 July 2003 points test changes.

Visa  Permission to travel to, enter and remain in Australia for a period of time or indefinitely.

1 year of full-time study  To meet the 1 year of full time study requirement you must have successfully completed, in the 6 months immediately before the application is made, a degree, diploma or trade qualification that required at least 1 year of full time study at one Australian educational institution and all the instruction was conducted in English.

2 years study in Australia To meet the 2 years study in Australia requirement:

             You must have studied in Australia at an Australian educational institution for at least 2 years full time;

             You must have completed during the 6 months immediately before lodging the application, an Australian degree, diploma or trade qualification, and all tuition for this study was conducted in English;

             Any qualification awarded during this 2 year period is appropriate to the nominated occupation; and

             If this study was undertaken at more than 1 Australian educational institution, the primary applicant was awarded an Australian degree, diploma or trade qualification before commencing study at another Australian educational institution.


Important Note: Glossary of terms relating to immigration to Australia given ABOVE are reference only and may change so you should seek required legal advice before USING THEM ANY PURPOSE.

October 23, 2008
October 23, 2008


Britain no longer dominates Anglophone education. Students want more, and the old empire is happy to give it to them.

The welcome begins with a courtesy car at the airport. To follow: a week of activities, from a talk with the vice chancellor to an introduction to British folk dancing. For the foreign student arriving at Manchester University, the hospitality can’t be too generous.

Of course, it’s tinged with self-interest. A good name and a British campus are no longer enough to pull in high-paying overseas recruits. The competition within the world of English-language higher education is growing increasingly intense. Today’s international students don’t automatically head to the United States or the United Kingdom; they consider a slew of factors, from cost to climate, before making their pick. Already, Britain is starting to suffer as it finds itself in a fierce three-way contest for market share.

Australia shows that the secret to success often has as much to do with government policy as with academic philosophy. Lavish grants can offset the Brits’ and the Americans’ edge in prestige. Foreign students at state-run schools in Singapore now get an 80 percent discount. According to the Observatory on Borderless Higher Education, an engineering degree that costs about $30,000 a year at Harvard runs just $2,000 at the University of Malaya, thanks to heavy subsidies. Currency fluctuations also make a difference, especially in Britain, with its strong pound.

On the one hand, U.S. colleges are recovering fast from their post-9/11 drop in overseas recruitment. On the other, a batch of common-wealth countries is coming on strong and eating into Britain’s market share.

The biggest factor today seems to be the prospect of employment. A degree from an Australian u
niversity now puts graduates on the fast track to permanent residency. And London offers an automatic 12-month work permit to most overseas recruits. But Britain can’t do anything about its location. Why go all the way to the United Kingdom—or to the United States—when there’s now a good English-language college just a few hours’ flight from Shanghai or Mumbai? “For a Chinese student, this is like a home away from home,” says Magdalene Lee of the Singapore Tourism Board. “Mandarin is widely spoken, and you can find Chinese cuisine on every corner.”

But few countries can match Australia’s main selling point. Surveys suggest that its sunny outdoors image works strongly to its advantage among international students. “Why go to Singapore,” asks Veronica Lasanowski of the Observatory on Borderless Higher Education, “when you can get the whole package—surfing and going to the beach—in Australia?”

Why indeed? Yet no country can afford to throw in the towel. Cuts in government spending have forced colleges to look elsewhere for money. Overseas recruits have thus become an increasingly critical source of cash: in Britain the average university now looks to foreign students to provide at least 10 percent of its income.

Other trends could soon make things even more desperate. Today China is one of the biggest sources of traveling students. But for how much longer? The country is now busy developing its own elite institutions and ordinary colleges. If this trend continues, the developed world is going to lose its largest client. The scramble for business in the Anglo world is already ferocious, while the market is expanding. Just wait till it starts to contract.


By William Underhill | NEWSWEEK Aug. 20-27, 2007 issue





October 23, 2008

Central Queensland University is providing top students with the opportunity to apply for the Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship for undergraduate study at the University’s Sydney campus.

This academic-based scholarship is only available for 2008 enrolments. Each scholarship provides exceptional students with a 20% reduction in tuition fees for the duration of their studies.*

This represents a saving of over AUD$8000 for a business degree and over AUD$9000 for an IT degree.**

Note: Tuition fees are based on 8 subjects from the appropriate area.

*Please note some terms and conditions apply.

**This is based on a 3 year degree program.


Scholarship selection Criteria

The CQUniversity Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship is open to all students applying for a CQUniversity bachelor degree and commencing in the 2008 November term at CQUniversity Sydney.

Entry to the Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship is based on the applicant’s previous academic results. To be awarded a scholarship the applicant must meet the minimum selection criteria. Please Contact to IEA-A Sydney Office or IEA-A Office in your Country  for further details.

Read More

October 3, 2008

From 26 April 2008, all student visas will be granted with work rights attached. This will remove the need for the majority of international students to make a separate application for a student visa with permission to work in Australia. This will reduce red-tape for student visa holders by streamlining the visa application process.

While student visa holders will have work rights automatically included in their visa grant, the work conditions themselves will not change. Students and their dependents will still be restricted from undertaking work until the student has commenced their course in Australia. Students will remain subject to a 20 hours per week work limitation while their course is in

session (excluding work undertaken as a registered component of the course). Their dependents will also remain subject to a 20 hours per week work limitation, except for dependents of students who have commenced a Masters or Doctorate course who will be able to work unlimited hours.

To accommodate the new arrangements, the Student Visa Application Charge will increase by AUD$20 to AUD$450 from 26 April 2008. This represents a saving of $40 for the majority of student visa holders who were previously required to pay $430 on initial application and a further $60 in Australia for permission to work.

Visa Label-Free initiative:

The Department is expanding visa label-free arrangements to further groups of students from 26 April 2008. The Department has traditionally placed visa labels in the passports of student visa holders as evidence of their permission to enter Australia and conditions of stay. This has become unnecessary as all visa information is stored and can be accessed electronically through the Department’s Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) service. Clients can access VEVO at any time to check information such as their visa subclass, visa conditions and period of stay. Further, with the permission of the visa holder, employers, education providers, government agencies and other organisations can access VEVO to check visa entitlements such as restrictions on work and study.

Label-free travel is already open to all Assessment Level 1 students applying through eVisa. It will now be extended to students from India, Indonesia and Thailand participating in the Assessment Level 2-4 eVisa trial. For the time being, students from the People’s Republic of China will still need a visa label to facilitate their travel to Australia.

Source: DIMIA

September 29, 2008
September 29, 2008

Melbourne has not only overtaken Sydney on the list of the world’s top 20 most liveable cities, but leap-frogged Paris into the top 10 in the quality-of-life stakes.

Compiled by the uber chic design and lifestyle magazine, Monocle, the rankings will be published on June 19, crowning Copenhagen as the world’s number one city. Munich, the winner last year, dropped down to number two while London – financial and cultural behemoth of Europe, did not even squeak it into the best 20 list.

Read More

September 29, 2008
September 29, 2008

THE push to lure skilled workers to Australia and the increase in foreign students have raised migration into the country to a record high.

Australian Bureau of Statistics figures reveal that net overseas migration to Australia boosted the population by almost 200,000 in the year to March, outstripping births in contributing to population growth.

And with the Federal Government adding to the migration intake in this year’s budget, demographers predict the numbers will swell.

The population of Australia reached 21.3 million at the end of March, and 59% of that growth was due to net overseas migration – that is, the difference between overseas arrivals and departures.

Peter McDonald, head of demographics at the Australian National University, said much of the rise was due to long-term temporary migration. This mainly comprises foreign students, temporary skilled workers who are here on 457 visas, and people on working holidays.

Read More

September 22, 2008
September 22, 2008



AUSTRALIA !!! Best Place to study higher education or learn English in the world!!!

Let us to show why Australia is the first choice study destination for so many international students?

Many countries around the world now have quality assured, comprehensive study programs providing all levels of education for international students. So, why study in Australia?

First of all Australia is the second best country to live in the world, behind the Norway according to United Nation Development Program (UNDP) that ranks 182 countries based on such criteria as life expectancy, literacy, school enrolment, gross domestic product per capita (GDP), etc. The United States ranks 13th and the UK ranks 21st.

Second, according to latest THES World University Rankings, 8 Australian Universities has been listed in top 100 Universities of the world. 22 of the 42 Australian Universities have been ranked in top 400 Universities of the world.

Third, if you consider tuition fee and living expensive, Australia provide same or better quality higher education with UK and USA but with a half or one third of the overall cost when compared to UK and USA.

Fourth, Australia one of the few countries in the world that climate is very convenient to enjoy life and very rich with natural wonders.  And so on. If you want to get full picture why Australia chosen by hundred of thousands of international students every year

Excellence in Education Standards
Australia offers internationally recognised education and training programs, and quality-assured qualifications and rank amongst the highest in the world. These qualifications, plus the life experience that students gain by living in Australia, are both seen as highly valuable ‘resume builders’ to prospective any international employers. .
A large numbersof networks of support exist to help students in all aspects of their stay in Australia




Good Value for Money

Research shows that Australia continues to be one of the most affordable overseas study destinations, with costs of living andcourse fees significantly lower than the USA and UK. Reports thatAustralia will significantly increase tuition fees and other costs arenot correct. In spite of its small population, Australia has the thirdlargest number of international students of English speaking nations.

Contact us for further information




Australia is a politically very stable democracy with a very friendly people. Australia is also genuinely cosmopolitan, meaning that regardless of which corner of the globe youcome from, you will be welcome. Sydney and Melbourne are continuouslyselected as two of the top 10 cities in the world in terms of safety,social cohesion, human rights, living cost and environmental issues. Australia is one of the top country seen by international students as a safe place to live and study. These conditions enable students to focus on their studies while they are making many friends from all over the world and experience the Australian way of life.


Australia is also genuinely Multicultural, meaning that regardless of which corner of the globe youcome from, you will be welcome. Almost a quarter of the population living in  Sydney and Melbourne are oversea born.
Particularly since the tragic events of September 11 in 2001, Australia isseen by international students as a safe place to live and study. These conditions enable students to focus on their studies while they are making many friends from all over the world and experience the Australian way of life.
September 11, 2008
September 11, 2008

Australia Education Glossary

ACAAE:    Australian Council on Awards in Advanced Education

ACACA:    Australasian Curriculum and Certification Authorities

ACE:         Adult and Community Education

ACT:         Australian Capital Territory

ACTA:       Australian Council on Tertiary Awards

AEI:          Australian Education International

AEI-NOOSR:             Australian Education International – National Office of Overseas Skills Recognition

ANTA:      Australian National Training Authority

AQF:         Australian Qualifications Framework

AQFAB:  Australian Qualifications Framework Advisory Board

AQTF:      Australian Quality Training Framework

AST:          Australian Scaling Test, Australian Capital Territory

AUQA:      Australian Universities Quality Agency

Australian Government:  the central government of the Commonwealth of Australia

AVCC:      Australian Vice-Chancellors’ Committee

BSSS:        Board of Senior Secondary Studies, Australian Capital Territory

CAEs:        Colleges of Advanced Education

COAG:      Council of Australian Governments

Commonwealth:  official title of the Australian nation, i.e. Commonwealth of Australia; may also refer to the Australian Government of Australia, i.e. Commonwealth Government, in contrast to the Australian state and territory governments

CRICOS:        Commonwealth [Australian] Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students

DEEWR: Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations

DEST:       Department of Education, Science and Training

ELICOS:   English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students

ENTER:    Equivalent National Tertiary Entrance Rank in Victoria, used to determine admission to university

ESOS:       Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000

FEE-HELP: loan scheme for students studying in a domestic fee-paying place

GAT:         General Achievement Test, Victoria

HECS:       Higher Education Contribution Scheme

HELP:       Higher Education Loan Programme

HESA:       Higher Education Support Act 2003

HEES:       Higher Education Entrance Score in South Australia, used to determine admission to university; now replaced by the Tertiary Entrance Rank (TER)

HSC:         Higher School Certificate, awarded on completion of secondary schooling in New South Wales

IB:                   International Baccalaureat

IEA-A:       Internatio
nal Education Agency – Australia

LOTE:       Languages Other Than English

MCEETYA:  Ministerial Council on Education, Employment, Training and Youth Affairs

New Apprentice:  an individual, known as a New Apprentice, who is involved in a training agreement with an employer under the New Apprenticeships which combine practical work with structured training

NSW:         New South Wales

NT:                 Northern Territory

NTBOS:    Northern Territory Board of Studies

NTBS:       Northern Territory Board of Studies

NTCE:      Northern Territory Certificate of Education, awarded on completion of secondary schooling

NTF:         National Training Framework

NTIS:        National Training Information Service, run by the Australian National Training Authority

overseas qualifications:  qualifications gained outside Australia

NTQC:      National Training Quality Council

overseas students:  students from outside Australia studying at Australian institutions located within Australia. Also refers to those studying off-shore, i.e. at an Australian institution which is located outside Australia

private providers:  private institutions and training providers of Vocational Education and Training

preparatory year:  the year before Year 1 in Australian schools, which is known by different names depending on the state or territory

preschool:  the term used for the educational programme two years before Year 1 in Australian schools. This year was previously known by different names depending on the state or territory

professional qualifications:  degree level awards qualifying the holder to practice in a profession such as architecture, dentistry, engineering, law, medicine, social work and veterinary science; may include other occupationally-oriented or vocational fields such as business, management, design, hospitality and tourism

QLD:         Queensland

QCE:         Queensland Certificate of Education

QSA:         Queensland Studies Authority

OS-HELP: cash loan to assist students undertake some of their course of study overseas

QTAC:      Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre

RATE:       Register of Australian Tertiary Education

RCC:         Recognition of Current Competency

RPL:          Recognition of Prior Learning

RTO:         Registered Training Organisation

RTS:                Research Training Scheme

SA:                  South Australia

SACE:       South Australian Certificate of Education

SATAC:    South Australian Tertiary Admissions Centre

school leavers:  students who have completed [senior] secondary school, ie. Year 12, and have been awarded a Senior Secondary Certificate of Education; may often be used to refer to those who have met the requirements for entry to higher education through school education in contrast to mature age entrants

self-accrediting institution:  an institution offering higher education programmes which has authority by or under relevant legislation to certify the quality and standards of its own academic programmes

SSABSA:        Senior Secondary Assessment Board of South Australia

TAFE:       Technical and Further Education, usually used in connection with a public college or institute offering Vocational Education and Training. Previously used in the context of technical and vocational education, ie. TAFE education or at TAFE.

TAS:          Tasmania

TQA:         Tasmanian Qualifications Authority

TCE:  Tasmanian Certificate of Education

TEE:         Tertiary Entrance Examination subjects, Western Australia

TER:         Tertiary Entrance Rank, used to determine admission to university in some states and territories

TES:          Tertiary Entrance Score, used to determine admission to university in some states and territories

TISC:         Tertiary Institutions Service Centre, Western Australia

TRA:         Trades Recognition Australia

UAC:         Universities Admission Centre, for New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory

UAI:          Universities Admission Index, used determine admission to university in some states and territories

VCAA:      Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority

VCAL:       Victorian Certificate of Applied LearningVCE:         Victorian Certificate of Education

vocational:  refers to studies or training oriented towards a specific occupation or type of employment; the studies or training can be at secondary, postsecondary or higher education level

VET:          Vocational education and training (VET)

VIC:          Victoria

VQA:         Victorian Qualifications Authority

VTAC:       Victoria Tertiary Admissions Centre

WA:                 Western Australia

November 11, 2004
November 11, 2004

404: Not Found

Sorry, but the content you requested could not be found.

Please proceed to home page

Enter your email to get instant access to the Document

    Your information is 100% secure with us

    Enter your email to get instant access to the webinar recording

      Your information is 100% secure with us