educational and living cost

educational and living cost

Australia now has the largest proportion of international tertiary students per head of university student population (20%) of any of the major providers of international education in the world as numbers continue to soar despite overseas events.

Australian institutions are the first choice for many students from the Asia Pacific Region and increasingly from North America and Europe. In 2007, more than 400,000 students from 140 countries studied at Australian institutions in Australia.

A government survey of international students who finished a course of study in 1999 found that over 89 per cent were either very satisfied or satisfied with the quality of education in Australia.

In addition to that, the Australian Government has encouraged international education and training providers to adopt codes of conduct and has developed legislation to help ensure a stable, supportive and regulated teaching and learning environment. Australia is further improving its position as a high quality and reliable education system for international students.

The demand for Australian courses overseas reflects the high regard in which the world holds Australian education and training.

This growing demand for Australian expertise is also evident in the international mobility of professionals with Australian qualifications, and in the call on Australian expertise in development projects such as those funded by the World Bank and the Asian Development Bank..

Tuition Fees

Australia enjoys a standard of living that is among the highest in the world. Living expenses and tuition costs in Australia are considerably less expensive than in the UK and USA.

When you study in Australia as an international student, you must pay your tuition fees up-front.

Aside from tuition fees, some institutions may also charge for other student costs, such as library, laboratory or sports facility costs. Excursions, books and stationery are other costs to consider, and your course may also require specific essential materials, such as lab coats or photographic supplies.

My Study in Australia student Counsellor will provide you with information on how and when to pay your tuition fees.

The following tuition fees represent the average costs of undertaking courses of study in Australia and should be used as a guide only. Specific information about tuition fees can be obtained directly from IEA-A.


Average Cost

High schools

A$6,000 18,000 per year

English Courses (depending on course duration)

A$3,500 13,500 (A$ 150 – A$ 370 per week)

Vocational education and training (TAFE and private colleges) Certificates I-IV, Diploma, Advanced Diploma

A$3,500 $18,000 per year

Foundation studies

A$9,000 $15,000 per year

University – Undergraduate (such as courses in arts, business, economics and law)

A$10,000 $16,500 per year

University – Undergraduate (Laboratory-based Degree, such as science and engineering courses)

A$10,000 $16,500 per year

University – Post Graduate </s pan>(Graduate Certificates-Graduate Diplomas)

A$10,000 $18,500 per year

UNIVERSITY – Masters, Doctoral Degrees

A$12, 00 $22,500 per year

* Some universities offer a trimester system and/or run summer schools from December to February.

** Some schools may have semesters/terms that differ to this, please check direct with the My Study in Australia student Counsellor


You can find that The Department of Immigration’s current charges for a Student Visa are:

Accommodation costs

There are a number of accommodation options available for students studying in Australia . Most universities and TAFE colleges operate housing offices to assist students with accommodation. IEA-A provides assistance on assessing what type of accommodation could be the most suitable for you and on arranging accommodation as soon as the student receives confirmation of enrolment. The different accommodation options can be summaries as below.

Home-stay (living with an Australian family) is popular with younger students and those studying short-term English courses. Meals are usually included.

Many universities and colleges have halls of residence. Here, students have a bedroom/study of their own, and will share bathrooms, laundries and recreational facilities. Most of these residential halls provide meals, and some offer kitchen facilities where students can cook and store food.

Share accommodation could be a good way to provide your accommodation needs as well. Students can also rent an apartment or house. Rents vary depending on the location, size and the facilities. Many students in Australia live in an apartment or a house with other students, sharing the cost of gas, electricity and sometimes food.

Below is an guide for accommodation cost:

Home stay (living with an Australian family) Full Board and meals

A$180 – A$250 per week

University residential colleges

A$180 – A$280 per week

University halls of residence

A$100 – A$180 per week

Share accommodation

A$100 – A$150 per week

High School boarding

A$8,000 – A$11,000 per year

Living expenses

Generally international students need about $12,000 for a year for living expenses, including :

· rent,

· food,

· transport,

· entertainment,

· electricity,

· telephone,

· clothing etc.

If your spouse is accompanying you, add about $ 5,000.- or if your child is coming add about $ 3,000. This does not include costs of purchasing a car or furniture.


The average international student in Australia spends about A$250 – A$350 per week on food, accommodation, clothing, local transport, telephone, gas/electricity, stationery, and entertainment, although this varies significantly according to location and individual lifestyle.

Working while studying

Once you have arrived in Australia and started your course, you and your family members can apply for permission to work. The table below outlines the work entitlements for you and your dependent family members if you are granted permission to work.

Type of Applicant

Work Entitlement

Students granted permission to work

You can work a maximum of 20 hours per week when your course is in session and unlimited hours when your course is not in session.


  • Work that is a formal registered part of your course is not included in the limit of 20 hours per week.
  • If you are doing voluntary or unpaid work you must apply for permission to work. It is included in the limit of 20 hours per week.

Dependent family members granted permission to work

You can work a maximum of 20 hours per week throughout the year.

Exceptions: Family members of the following students can work unlimited hours once the student starts their main course:

  • students enrolled in Masters by coursework (visa 573)
  • students enrolled in Masters by research or Doctoral degree (visa 574)
  • students sponsored by AusAID or Defence (visa 576)

You must also comply with the State and Territory laws of Australia. Under all State and Territory laws, you cannot work during school hours if you are under the school leaving age, which in most states is 15 years.

The money you may earn from working in Australia should only supplement your income and not be your only source of income. Usually unskilled works such as kitchen hand, waiter/waiters, sandwich hand, etc can earn A12-A$20 per hour.

You will need to obtain a tax file number from the Australian Government, contact to your international Education Agency – Australia Sydney office for further details. Also some institutions offer a job placement service that most of the time require job placement fee. Contact My Study in Australia student counsellor for availability, fee and further details.

Please note that to gain a Student Visa you will need to shown that you already have enough money to support yourself and any dependants during your studies before coming to Australia.

Overseas student health cover

Australia has a special system of health cover for inte
rnational students called Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).

All international students coming to Australia on student visas are required to have private health insurance for the duration of their visa.

Depending on the institution attended, students are required to join one of the registered health funds: Premiums vary, depending on the length of stay in Australia , but generally start from A$90 for three months insurance (A$360 per year) fro 2008.

OSHC will help you pay for any medical or hospital care you may need while you’re studying in Australia, and will contribute ( not all of the cost) towards the cost of prescription medicines and an ambulance in an emergency. Dental, optical and physiotherapy are not covered.

My Study in Australian Student Counsellor with your institution arranges OSHC for you before your visa application approved. When you arrive in Australia, contact to your institutions to get your membership card.

OSHC providers

Medibank Private

OSHC Worldcare

BUPA Australia


If your course of study is under three months’ duration, you will not be eligible for OSHC.

The insurance cost for student and student and family are summarised as a guideline for 2008 below.




Up to 6 mths

Up to 12 mths

Student only

$ 174.-

$ 358.-

Student & Family

$ 348.-

$ 696.-


Leave a Reply

Enter your email to get instant access to the Document

    Your information is 100% secure with us

    Enter your email to get instant access to the webinar recording

      Your information is 100% secure with us