2 September 2020 – Acting Minister for Immigration Alan Tudge has announced a new Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List (PMSOL) of 17 occupations that will be able to enter Australia on a 482 visa in order to assist in the country’s COVID recovery.
Existing skilled migration occupation lists will remain active and visas will still be processed, but priority will be given to those in occupations on the PMSOL. Most of the occupations included in this are from the health care sector. The occupations on the list are based on advice from the National Skills Commission.
Immigration agent Rohit Mohan of Lakshya Migration Melbourne says these occupations are critical to the Australian economic recovery during and after the pandemic.
“If employers fail to find the right candidates in Australia for their business, this list will allow them to sponsor skilled professions from overseas during the pandemic. The candidates will be given travel exemption to bring them to Australia. However, they will have to undergo a mandatory 2-week quarantine,” he explains.
Visa holders, who have been sponsored by an Australia business in a PMSOL occupation can request an exemption from Australia’s travel restrictions, but will be subject to a strict 14 days quarantine on arrival at their own expense.”
Minister for Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business, Senator the Hon Michaelia Cash said the PMSOL would be complemented by strengthened labour market testing requirements. “In addition to the current requirements of two national advertisements, employers must also advertise their vacancy on the Government’s jobactive website,”
The 17 occupations (ANZSCO code) are:
- Chief Executive or Managing Director (111111)
- Construction Project Manager (133111)
- Mechanical Engineer (233512)
- General Practitioner (253111)
- Resident Medical Officer (253112)
- Psychiatrist (253411)
- Medical Practitioner nec (253999)
- Midwife (254111)
- Registered Nurse (Aged Care) (254412)
- Registered Nurse (Critical Care and Emergency) (254415)
- Registered Nurse (Medical) (254418)
- Registered Nurse (Mental Health) (254422)
- Registered Nurse (Perioperative) (254423)
- Registered Nurses nec (254499)
- Developer Programmer (261312)
- Software Engineer (261313)
- Maintenance Planner (312911)