Student Visas

As a non-citizen if you want to study in Australia you must apply for a student visa.

Visas are granted by the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC). YourInternational Education Agency – Australia (IEA-A) partner in your country or My Study on Australia student Counsellor from Australian Office can make your student visa application for you please contact for further information .

Only courses under three months’ duration can be undertaken on a visitor visa or working holiday visa. If you intend to study for more than three months, you must apply for a student visa.

Advantages to studying on a student visa include:

  • you will have access to Australia’s subsidised student health cover;
  • you will be allowed to study for longer than three months; and
  • you can apply for permission to work part time.

You can apply for your student visa as soon as you receive a letter of offer or electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for your full time course of study. Your IEA-A representative can help you.

Student visa information on this website is an outline only and subject to change. For more detailed, accurate and up-to-date information on student visas and visa requirements please visit the Department of Immigration and Citizenship website or speak to your My Study in Australia Student Counsellor.

Contact us for free student visa application service

Australian Student Visa

Anyone enrolling as an international student on a course lasting four months or more in Australia will need a student visa. Here are the key things to know.

Please note that in order to apply for an Australian student visa, you must have an unconditional offer of place at a university, tafe or education institution have accepted that place in writing and paid the required tuition fee deposit. It is therefore one of the last parts of the process to organise.

Talk to a Study Options student advisor in International Education Agency –Australia about studying in Australia

What type of visa do I need?

For all programmes of study you will be applying for a subclass 500 student visa.

When should I apply?

We can only make an application for an Australian student visa for you after getting a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from your chosen education institutoion. In order to get a CoE, you must have been given a formal offer by the university, tafe or education institute that registered to enrol international students,have accepted it in writing and paid the required deposit toward your tuition fees.

Is there an age limit?

There is no age limit on applying for a student visa for Australia.

Can I still get a student visa if I’ve already had a working holiday visa for Australia?

Yes, your working holiday visa status has no impact on a student visa application – the two types of visa are completely separate.

How long does the visa last?

Your student visa will last for the duration of your study programme (including holiday periods) and will allow you some time to remain in Australia at the end of your course. This time can range from one to three months, depending on the length of your course and the month in which it ends. If you are studying a course that is longer than ten months and which ends in November or December, for example, your student visa would usually end on March 15 of the following year.

How long does the visa take to get?

Visa processing times vary but you should allow up to four weeks. Where possible we recommend applying for your visa as soon as you have received your CoE.

When can I travel to Australia?

You can arrive in Australia on your student visa up to 90 days before your course starts.


Can I work while on this visa?

On a student visa you will be able to work up to 40 hours a fortnight during term and full time in the holidays. The visa will automatically be issued with ‘permission to work’ although you are not allowed to begin working until your course has started. Work that is a formal, registered part of your course is not included in the limit. If you do unpaid or voluntary work you must still apply for permission to work, and this type of work is included within the 40 hour limit.

Can I take my partner with me on my student visa?

Yes, it is possible for your partner to accompany you to Australia as a dependent on your student visa. You will need to prove you have been in a genuine and exclusive relationship with them for at least 12 months. This usually requires you to have been living together for at least 12 months.

Do I need to provide any health documents or checks?

Currently citizens of the UK or Ireland are not required to have a health assessment except in certain circumstances – for example if you are going to Australia to train as a doctor, dentist or nurse, or if you are likely to work or train in an Australian childcare centre during your course. You may also be required to do a health assessment if you have spent more than three consecutive months in another country in the last five years.

Can I apply for another visa when my course ends?

In some circumstances it may be possible to apply for a further visa at the end of your course. Please visit the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship at to find out what your options are. Under current visa rules if you have studied for two years towards a university bachelors, masters or research degree you will be entitled to apply for a Post Study Work Visa. This visa will allow you to remain in Australia for two to four years (dependent on level of study).

Your obligations

  • You must maintain satisfactory attendance on your course, as required by your education provider.
  • You must make satisfactory academic progress for each study period.
  • You must advise your education provider of your home address within seven days of arriving in Australia. If you change address during your stay, you must tell your education provider within seven days.
  • You must maintain suitable health insurance throughout your time in Australia. This can be done by obtaining OSHC.

What will I need to apply?

Your nationality (according to your passport) and your chosen Australian university will determine what documents you need to show for your visa application. Your education and visa officer fromInternational Education Agency Australia office will help you on all of these steps.

Leave a Reply

Enter your email to get instant access to the Document

    Your information is 100% secure with us

    Enter your email to get instant access to the webinar recording

      Your information is 100% secure with us