Your Study Journal to Australia with my study in australia

Your Study Journal to Australia with my study in australia

This guide will help you start your exciting new life in one of the most beautiful, enjoyable and safe countries in the world – Australia.

Your Study in Australia will be an amazing educational experience like no other.

Moreover, you will make lasting friendships, experience and create wonderful new memories and have a wonderful time of your life.

This guide will help prepare you for your upcoming study in Australia adventure.

Before you leave

Planning is an important step and you can consult with your agency representative to help you.

Before you leave you should also consider the following.

Travel insurance.

Car insurance – (if you intend to buy a car)

Accommodation references – some rental accommodation may need to see references

Medical records

Passport photos


Your luggage

Keep in mind that baggage limits are around 20kg for most airlines.

It is a good idea to lock your luggage so you can be safe.

Never agree to bring a bag or other items to Australia for someone else as it may contain something illegal and you will be held accountable for it.

Keep your passport and the Notice of Arrival or Confirmation of Enrolment from your institution at all times.

Arriving in Australia

Customs control and quarantine laws

Items you must declare on arrival:

• plant material (including painted, lacquered or raw wooden carvings, handicrafts and souvenirs made from plant material, straw products, bamboo, cane or rattan basket ware, potpourri, fresh or dried flowers, and items that contain bark);

• animal products (including feathers, bones, horns, wool, animal hair, skins, furs, shells, coral, bee products, live animals, and birds’ eggs),

• all animals/protected wildlife;

• medical products;

• food (includes cooked and raw food and ingredients, dried fruit and vegetables, canned meat products, dairy products, fish and other seafood products, instant noodles and rice, herbs and spices, biscuits, cakes and confectionary, tea, coffee and other beverages, and seeds and nuts); and

• firearms, weapons and ammunition.

Note: Amounts of AU$10,000 or more carried with you, or equivalent in foreign currency (meaning notes and coins of legal tender), must be reported on arrival or departure.

All luggage is x-rayed or screened on arrival. You must declare all food, plant material and animal products for quarantine inspection. If you fail to declare or dispose of any quarantine items or make false declarations you will be caught. You could be fined $220 on-the-spot; or you could be prosecuted and fined more than $60,000 and risk 10 years in jail. You will not be penalised if goods are declared.

The leaflets What can’t I take into Australia? and What can’t be mailed to Australia ?? published by the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service (AQIS) provide a full list of goods that need to be declared and which ones are prohibited from entry into Australia. For more information visit

There are also restrictions on which prescribed medicines you can bring into Australia. Check with the Australian Therapeutical Goods Administration at

Duty free goods

Travellers are allowed to bring the following into Australia tax free:

• $900 worth of goods, not including alcohol or tobacco ($450 for travellers under 18 years of age). For example, cameras, electronic equipment, perfume, leather goods, jewellery, watches and sporting goods; and

• 2.25 litres of alcoholic beverages, and 250 cigarettes or 250 grams of cigars or tobacco products other than cigarettes, for travellers aged 18 years and over.

If you exceed the $900 concession allowance, duty and sales tax may be charged on the balance above the allowance. For more information visit

Your first few days.

Some institutions may be able to greet you at the airport. Speak to your agency for further information.

Otherwise, public transport runs to and from all international airports, and many regional airports. Buses, trains or taxis will be available at the terminal.

When you arrive at your accommodation, don’t forget to contact your parents or relatives to let them know you have arrived safely.

Things to do Settling in

· Contact the International Office at your institution.

· Obtain a student card and concession cards.

o Enrol and attend the orientation sessions provided by your institution

· Speak to your IEA-A representative

· Open a bank account, if you have not already

· Arrange permanent accommodation.

The first few days are very exciting but they can also be quite scay but don’t worry, you will soon settle in.

A good idea to help your study in Australia adventure is to begin by exploring the city and working out where places such as your campus, local supermarkets and public transport points are in relation to where you live. You can also look at local newspapers for different clubs. Joining clubs is a great way to meet new friends and become part of the community. Advertisements for community events, such as concerts or markets, will also be in the newspaper.

Find permanent accommodation

There are many different types of accommodation to suit many different needs.

You can speak with your IEA-A representative who will help you arrange your institution to find the best accommodation for you.

Homestay (about $110 to $270 a week)

Homestay best for younger students as well as those studying short-term English courses. Meals are sometimes available.

Because you will be living in someone else’s home it is important to be respectful and clean up after yourself.

It is a good idea to discuss the following issues when you arrive.

• When should I pay for the rent or phone bill?

• What are the rules about using the kitchen, washing my clothes, going out and having my friends over?

• What time at night should I stop receiving telephone calls?

• When is the latest I can return home after school? (For students who are in high school or under the age of 18.)

• How much notice should I give if I decide to move out? When can I get my deposit returned?


Hostels and guest houses (about $80 to $135 a week)

Hostels are usually dormitory style and are primarily for tourists, however, they can also be an affordable accommodation option. Students share bathroom and kitchen facilities.


Shared accommodation (about $50 to $160 a week) and rental accommodation (about $70 to $350 a week)

Students often share with other students. To rent, students will generally need to pay rent in advance together with a security bond equal to four weeks’ rent. If no damage is sustained the bond is returned.

Your IEA-A representative and institution can provide further assistance. You should check newspapers and noticeboards for rentals.

Tips for renting

· Take your time in making a decision

· Make sure it meets your needs and everything is in working order.

· Ensure you understand and sign legal documents.

· You are entitled to a building inspection which ensures everything is in working order.

· Ask your IEA-A representative if you need help understanding legal documents.

· Make sure you get a receipt of all rents and bonds paid.

· You should buy contents insurance to cover your more valuable personal items.

· It costs about $30 to connect electricity, $30 for gas, $60 for water and $60 for phone.

Boarding schools (about $8,000 to $11,000 a year)

When you study in Australia, many private secondary schools provide accommodation, meals and laundry services for international students. Tuition fees are in addition to the boarding fees. You will live in a dormitory with other students of the same sex and will be supervised by adults.

Campus accommodation (about $80 to $250 a week)

When you study in Australia, most universities and some vocational institutions offer some form of on campus accommodation but they are quite limited.

Residential colleges are generally more expensive.

Halls of residence are located on or near institution campuses and are generally cheaper than residential colleges. There is a high demand for places.

Women-only or men-only accommodation

In boarding schools and university halls of residence you will only share rooms with people of the same sex. O
ther types of accommodation are generally mixed but you can specify that you only want same-sex accommodation.

Living in Australia

The first few months are important for adjusting.. here are some facts to help you.

Australians people

Australia has very high standards of living in the world.
Australia is an English-speaking country with a population of 21 million.
It is home to people from over 190 countries, and at least one in five
Australians was born overseas.

Our states and territories

There are six states and two territories in Australia:

· New South Wales (Biggest City: Sydney),

· Victoria (Biggest City: Melbourne),

· Queensland (Biggest City: Brisbane),

· Western Australia (Biggest City: Perth)

· South Australia (Biggest City: Adelaide),

· Australian Capital Territory (Capital City: Canberra),

· Tasmania (Biggest City: Hobart)

· Northern Territory (Biggest City: Darwin),

The capital city is Canberra, which is located in the Australian Capital Territory.

Time Zones

Australia is a big country and there are three different time zones in Australia.

Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST): Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) + 10 hours which includes

· Australian Capital Territory (Capital City: Canberra),

· New South Wales (Biggest City: Sydney),

· Victoria (Biggest City: Melbourne),

· Queensland (Biggest City: Brisbane),

· Tasmania (Biggest City: Hobart)

CENTRAl Standard Time: Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) + 9.5 hours which includes (AEST – 0.5 hour)

· South Australia (Biggest City: Adelaide),

· Northern Territory (Biggest City: Darwin),

Australian Western Standard Time (AWST): Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) + 8 hours which includes (AEST – 2 hours)

· Western Australia (Biggest City: Perth)


Australia uses a dollars and cents system of decimal currency with

100 cents in a dollar. The bank notes in use are $5 (purple), $10 (blue), $20 (orange), $50 (yellow) and $100 (green). Coins used are silver 5 cents, 10 cents, 20 cents and 50 cents, and gold $1 and $2 coins.

Weights and measures

Australia uses the metric system of weights and measures..


Because Australia is a very dry country and water is scarce water should be used thoughtfully. There are many easy ways to conserve water. Everywhere in Australia tap water is safe to drink.


Australian culture

Australia is a very friendly and informal country.

Addressing people –When speaking to people older than you, call them Mr.,Mrs. or Ms. followed by their surname until you know them well.

Greetings good morning, good afternoon and good evening are formal greetings. Informal greetings are hello, hey or hi.

Please and thank you – please and thank-you are two phrases which should be used regularly.

Personal space – It is a good idea not to invade someone’s personal space.

Dress – Australians tend to dress casually.

Queuing – Never push or jump ahead when you are standing in line.

Punctuality – Call if you think you will be late.

Smoking – Smoking is banned in many public spaces so make sure to check if you can smo

Equality – Australians believe strongly in equality – everyone is equal!

Spitting – Spitting in public is illegal and offensive.

Littering – Because Australians care about the environment, you should never litter as you could be fined.

Table manners – Australians usually use cutlery.



There are many banks in Australia. Normal trading hours are 9.30 am to 4.00 pm Monday to Thursday and 9.30 am to 5.00 pm on Friday. Some banks are open on Saturday mornings, but all are closed on Sundays and public holidays. You should open a bank account as soon as possible.

ATMs (where you can withdraw cash) are available 24/7.

International transfers can take a couple of days.


Credit cards

The most commonly accepted credit cards are MasterCard, Visa, Bankcard, American Express, Diners International and their affiliates. Most businesses accept credit cards as payment, so you don’t need to carry lots of money with you.



The electrical current in Australia is 240/250 volts AC, 50 cycles and a three-pin plug is used. Adapters are generally needed to convert international appliances and you can easily find them.


Tipping is not necessary in Australia. However, you can still tip if you feel that it is deserved.



Shopping centers are usually open from 9 am to 5 pm seven days a week, with late night shopping until 9 pm on Thursday or Friday. Some supermarkets are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.


Postal services

Postal services are provided by Australia Post and mail is delivered | Monday to Friday. For larger parcels, a card will be left in your letter box for you to take to your nearest post office for collection. The postal service is reliable and safe. Most post offices are open from 9 am to 5 pm Monday to Friday. You can also pay your electricity and telephone bills and some other accounts at a post office.



Public phones are available.

Mobile phones are very popular and there are many carriers.


Public transport

Australia has a very efficient and reliable train and bus system. You can buy tickets at train stations and on the bus.

Ask your institution if you are able to get a concession card.



You can call and book a taxi or you can hail one from the street if its yellow lights are on.


Your own transport

A good second hand bicycle can be bought for around $200 and a reliable second hand car can be purchased for less than $10,000. It is a good idea to have a second hand car inspected by a mechanic. Remember that a car can be quite expensive when factoring in petrol, maintenance, insurance, service costs and registration. Generally the public transport system is very reliable and there is not much need for your own car.

If you plan on being in Australia for longer than three months you will need to apply for a license. The RTA will help you out. If you are here for less than three months you can drive with your valid license and a translation document.

Remember, that in Australia you drive on the left side of the road. The maximum speed limit is 50km an hour in residential areas and is usually 100km an hour on highways. Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is a serious offence, punishable by loss of licence and sometimes jail. Random breath testing, where the police stop your vehicle and measure the amount of alcohol you have consumed, is conducted in most Australian states and territories. For information on alcohol limits, visit

You can be caught and fined for speeding.

Seat belts are compulsory for all passengers. Talking on a mobile is illegal, though you can use a hands free.

Contact the Road Authority in your state or territory for more information on Australian driver’s licences and road rules.

Personal safety

To be international student in Australia is very safe, but it is still a good idea to observe the following suggestion

• Always tell someone where you are going and what time you will be home

• Try not to travel alone and if you do take care

• Use campus security escorts and bus services when you can

• Don’t leave personal belongings unattended

• It’s a good idea to always carry a mobile phone

• avoid giving your personal information to strangers; and

< span>• lock your doors and windows before going out.


If you are faced with a life-threatening emergency that you may need to call

· Fire

· Police

· Ambulance ,

you should dial 000 on the phone.

The operator will ask you if you need fire, police or ambulance services before transferring you. Then you should ready to give the address.

Adjusting to Australian life

Remember it is normal to feel homesick or lonely. These are some coping mechanisms.

Be positive – remember why you wanted to study in Australia

Make conversation – talk to people.

Keep a journal – express your feelings.

Stay occupied – whether playing sport, attending festivals or meeting people.

Socialise – spend time with other students

Be flexible – be adapatble

Watch people around you

• Your international student advisor or counsellor can help you settle in

If you need help always feel free to ask Australians for help, they are very friendly.

Bringing your family

Your family members must be included on your initial student visa application, even if they do not accompany you to Australia or intend to visit you in Australia.

The Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) classifies your family as your spouse (a person you are legally married to or a person of the opposite sex who you have been living with in an exclusive relationship for more than 12 months) and your or your spouse’s children (aged under 18 and never married). For more information, visit the DIAC website at

You may bring members of your family with you to Australia provided that you meet certain conditions. You must show proof of your relationship (for example, a marriage licence or birth certificate). Children will need to be enrolled in school and you will need to cover their tuition and other costs. Other limitations on bringing family members apply.

Living costs in Australia

Australia has one of the highest standards of living but is still very affordable. An average international student in Australia can expect to pay about A$250 – A$360 a week on:

  • accommodation;
  • food;
  • clothing;
  • entertainment;
  • transport;
  • international and domestic travel;
  • telephone; and
  • incidental costs.

You could spend more or less depending on where you live, your lifestyle and your course.


Australia is accommodating of all religions. You can also find a place of worship for most religions. Just ask around.


Australia has all types of food for all different cuisines as it is very international. Halal can be found – even food from your home country is quite easy to find. If you have food allergies specific foods can also be found.

In short, you can find every type of food when you study in Australia.


Your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) will cover you for most medical expenses. Most large universities have a health centre on campus, and all institutions will have a first aid officer. Medical centres are in most cities .

Your institution will also provide you with access to counsellors who can help with mental health issues, and to family planning facilities.

Students under the age of 18

If you are under the age of 18 while studying in Australia your parents must nominate a guardian to be responsible for you. This person may be a relative, family friend, homestay parent or teacher living in the same city you are studying in who will be able to sign forms on your parents’ behalf, provide advice if you need it and take an interest in your academic progress. If you wish for a family member to accompany you to Australia they must apply for a Student Guardian Visa.

For more information on Student Guardian Visas, visit

Institutions are required by law to provide supervision of students on school grounds before school, during recess times and after school. This in
cludes students involved in activities on school premises, such as sports training or rehearsals for school productions. Students living in boarding houses are supervised at all times.


What your International Officer in your school can do for you

Many universities and VET institutions have an International Office on campus. You can contact them and they will help you with a wide range of matters.


Student Contact Officers (SCOs) in your International Office will guide new international students through orientation programs which will help you understand the education system and your campus.


Learning and study skills

Many institutions provide workshops. You can also find private tutoring.


English language support

Many institutions provide English language classes for students from non-English speaking countries.



The International Office will be able to help you research suitable, affordable accommodation close to campus.


Student contact offers can help you with a wide range of issues. They can also direct you to counselors and mental health workers.


Career advice

Speak to you My Study in Australia Student Counsellor


Religious and community groups

Ask your International Office for details of religious and community groups on campus and around town.


Students with disabilities

Many institutions offer facilities for students with disabilities. Please check available facilities before enrolment.


The Australian classroom

The education system in Australia is unique – it is interactive and encourages students to learn and develop thinking skills, rather than just memorise.

Lectures and tutorials

Classes at university is a mixture of lectures and tutorials. A lecture might be attended by up to 200 students whereas a tutorial is much smaller with about 30 students in attendance. It is important you attend all classes, as well as participate in tutorials.

At a VET institute lectures and tutorials are generally combined.



There are many different types of assessments including essays, tests, exams and presentations. Ask your tutor if you need any help.


Plagiarism is when you take someone else’s work and submit it for assessment as your own. For example copy and pasting from the internet.

Plagiarism is a very serious offence in Australia and there are harsh penalties for the practice that may include an automatic fail of your unit. This will put your student visa in jeopardy.

You can use someone’s work but you must reference it. You should speak to your teacher about how to reference.

Working in Australia

When you study in Australia you can apply for permission to work up to 20 hours a week on a casual basis after you have started your course of study. You must also apply to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) to do volunteer or unpaid work which counts toward the 20 hours a week limit you are allowed under your visa.

For further information on working in Australia, visit DIACs website at

Getting permission to work

If you want to work part-time in Australia, you will need to obtain permission from DIAC in the state or territory where you are living. Students arrive after April 2008, they receive work permit with their studnet visa. Otherwise you should complete a form from DIAC (Form 157P) to request permission to work, and pay an application fee of about $60.

If you are given permission then a new visa label will be put into your passport. It will have a work limitation condition (8105 or 8104), instead of the no work condition (8101). If you work more than 20 hours per week during the school semester, your visa may be cancelled.


Permission for spouses to work

Spouses with a Dependent Student Visa may apply for a work visa while accompanying a full time student. Spouses will need permission to work and must follow the conditions as set out on their visa, as restrictions may apply.


Types of work for international students

Generally students work in ret
ail, hospitality and administration. You could expect to earn $12-20 an hour, depending on the kind of work you do and your age. You may be paid more for working on Sundays or

Student tutors can earn about $20- $30 an hour, and if you find someone to tutor in your native language that could be a good idea.

Do not rely on finding work. Your first priority is study, so don’t let work prevent you from making the most of your studies.


Tax returns

When you study in Australia you will be part of Australia’s taxation system.


You should obtain a Tax File Number (TFN) from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) if you are going to work in Australia. You may also need a TFN to open a bank account. To apply, complete a form available from the ATO website or an Australia Post office. If your visa allows you to work you can use the ATO’s online registration system.

If you work in Australia you will need to lodge an income tax return, either through a registered tax agent or by completing it yourself. If you complete your own income tax return, e-taxx i he fa y t b in a refund. In most cases this will be within 14 days. You can download e-taxx fro he ATO web i

For more information about tax file numbers and tax returns, phone the ATO on 13 28 61, or visit


If you work in Australia as an international student, and are paid $450 or more in a calendar month, you may be entitled to superannuation. Your employer is usually required by law to pay money into a superannuation or retirement savings account for you. If you are eligible, you may be entitled to receive this money when you permanently leave Australia. This payment is called the Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP).

To find out more about superannuation or to apply online for your DASP, visit

Student visa REQUIREMENTS – conditions

There are a number of conditions on your visa you must follow to be allowed to study in Australia. The main conditions are that you must:

• maintain satisfactory attendance ( minimum 80 % attendance required for most courses);

• achieve satisfactory academic results;

• continue to be enrolled in a registered course;

• notify your education provider of your address within seven days of arriving in Australia, and within seven days of any change in your address;

• notify your original educational provider if you change to a new education provider within seven days of obtaining your new certificate of enrolment; and

• maintain OSHC cover.

There may be additional conditions if you are on a scholarship.


Can be either

• working without approval or working longer hours than permitted by their visa;

• ceasing their studies before the end of their course;

• overstaying their visas; or

• using fraudulent documentation.

These are illegal, your visa may be cancelled and you may be prevented from entering Australia again so do not attempt to do these action.

If you want to change your institution or your course speak to you IEA-A representative as all changes must be done within the law.

Extending your visa

If your student visa expires before you have finished your course you need to apply for a new one at your local immigration office or at the visa section at the Australian Mission or Embassy in your home country. You can speak to your IEA-A representative.

Leave a Reply

Enter your email to get instant access to the Document

    Your information is 100% secure with us

    Enter your email to get instant access to the webinar recording

      Your information is 100% secure with us